Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ten Years Gone

Well, I ended the last one with a Zep reference (unnecessarily, I might add) so in the tradition of great transitions, I title this entry with yet another. The song comes from probably the group's greatest studio album (yeah, in YOUR opinion maybe) Physical Graffitti. The song is also and most obviously, a reflection on the happenings of ten years past. It had also better be a song they play loudly at my upcoming Ten year high school reunion. (Finally! He gets to the point!)

In today's modern world of high speed interwebz access, thousands of tv channels, ketchup in bottles with the spout on the bottom, and gasoline that involves loan paperwork to buy, I hadn't yet secured my tickets to the Event. (what did those others things have to do with?....ah nevermind.) The tickets are a whopping thirty-five (here we go with the numbers again...) bucks apiece, and the tickets say there is a "no host bar." Well, I did see the word "bar" and got a little excited. Then I realized there were two other words in front of it. It has to mean open bar right? I mean the tickets are thirty-five dollars, which ofcourse includes dinner and drinks right? I graduated up there in my class, I didn't complete college, but I consider myself smrt. (Dude, you gonna....you gonna spell check that right?) On this day however, I was stumped by the wording and had to look up what the Hell a "no host bar" was.
* * *
A man walks his dog down the street. It's a nice, breezy and mild day. Birds are chirping, lawns are being cut, and as we've just seen, dogs are being walked. The man's faithful companion finishes his business and waits dutifully for his master to examine, and give praise. As the man reaches down to pick up his friend's gift for proper disposal, he is caught far off balance by an unmercifully loud noise and falls face first into the prize. What could have pierced through the man's concentration? It sounded like surely someone's arm had come off, and was a clear screaming cry of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" What could it be? We leave the man to ponder that question as he crudely wipes his face with a towel he had in his pocket. "Shoulda got a cat," the man complains.
* * *

"Honey, what the hell was that?!" says my fiance as she rushes into the living room to find me near complete exhaustion, sprawled on the floor.
"It's....it's....a...it's not a...." is all I can manage. After a few minutes, I came to and was able to properly explain myself. I had just discovered that "no host bar" means a goddamn CASH BAR. (Wow. What a drama queen. And why did the random guy have to be picking up dog crap?)

In all seriousness, a cash bar is probably a good thing. (ofcourse it is, you drunk) It just means that more of my millions (AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) will be spent on individual beers.

I do look forward to going to this reunion. There are some I haven't seen in ages (ten years, moron) and some I have seen randomly throughout the years. I look forward to being there with my beautiful fiance and catching up with old friends. (any other cliches you wanna drop?) See you there.

1 comment:

Revelations of a Survivor said...

Since I moved to a new town my junior year, I ended up skipping my 10, 15 and 20 year reunion...yeah I'm old. But some of my buddies who complained about their cash bar went ahead and tailgated the event. Just put a keg on ice in someone's trunk and get your refills out there. You may have to be sneaky about it, but it works. I come from a big Irish Catholic family, we tailgate everything from weddings to first communion parties.